Packing for a move is one of the easiest ways to lower the cost of a move. Still, it’s not the easiest process. There are many hassles when it comes to packing. Choosing which items to pack and how to pack them can determine whether items arrive intact. It’s important to do some research before taking on all the responsibility of packing. Here are a few pointers to help with packing belongings like a professional.
Packing for A Move
Never wait until the day before the movers arrive to pack personal belongings. A few things to do to help ease the process of packing a whole house are:
- Pack One Room at A Time– Breaking down room-by-room allows for more achievable goals. It will also allow for more accuracy in the packing process.
- Pack Least Important Items First– When packing items in a room, start with the least important. It won’t matter if you go without them for a few days.
Packing Fragile Items
When packing fragile items, it’s important to follow these steps to ensure they arrive intact:
- Over Pad– When packing, there is no such thing as too much protection. Bubble wrap, newspaper, cellulose wrap, or packing paper will help to keep fragile items secure.
- Use Specialty Boxes– Dish cartons with dividers, wardrobe boxes, and dishware boxes are great for securing items in transit.
Most boxes are brown and look the same. Follow these tips to help make moving and unloading boxes easier:
- Label Everything– When packing a box, label it by the room it came from. Labeling will help in the unloading process.
- Fragile– Make sure to label fragile boxes. This will let movers know to give extra care to these boxes.
In the moving process, it’s important not to pack essential items such as:
- Hygiene Products– When moving into a new house, these will be needed within the first 24-hours. Either bring them in a suitcase or pack them last on the truck.
- Important Documents– It’s important to keep documents such as licenses, passports, and birth certificates with you. Mistakes happen in the moving process and boxes can get damaged or lost.
Using these few tips, you can pack your home like a pro. If you are still feeling overwhelmed, consider having the professionals at Lawrence Moving handle your packing. To find out more information about the moving process, visit Lawrence Moving’s website.